The congregation that would become known as St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in the fall of 1890 under the direction and leadership of the Reverend Jeremiah H. Kline, the congregation to be known as St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in the fall of 1890. The membership grew steadily and plan were made to erect a church on Loucks Avenue. The building was dedicated October 1, 1891.
By 1908, it became clear that a larger place of worship was needed. A building fund was started and plans were soon underway. The original plan was to demolish the church building and erect a larger one on the same lot. However, the congregation’s neighbors were interested in the property. The Presbyterian congregation owned the lot on one side of the church-the site of the present day Presbyterian Manse(parsonage) and a Mr Francis owned the property on the other side. A deal was made where both interested parties bought property on the corner of Grant and Mulberry Streets, the sold it to the Lutherans in order to acquire the Locuks Avenue property. The Lutherans would get the lumber from the old Church when it was demolished. the present parsonage was originally located in the Mulberry Street side of the lot, but was moved and renovated prior to construction of the new church building.
The celebration of the laying of the cornerstone of the new building was done in the same way that it was done for the original church. A worship service was held at the Methodist church. After service, the congregation processed to the foundation of the new church building, where cornerstone laying ceremony was held. The new church dedicated on February 5, 1911, and it was all to the glory of God.
A new Moeller organ was purchased in the 1920’s and is still used today. Much word had to be done to accommodate the new organ, however. The floor of the chancel and choir loft was lowered the height of two steps- 22inches. Robes were purchased for the choir and the congregation was informed that it was proper for both the choir and the pastor to be robed- implying that this had not been the case previously.
In the 1960’s the celebration of Holy Communion was changed from quarterly to monthly plus festival Sundays. In the 1970’s the practice was changed again to celebrate the sacraments of the Lord’s Supper twice monthly, following the trend in Christianity toward more frequent celebration.
St. Paul’s has had eighteen pastors in its history, including the current pastor, The Reverend Daniel Clark, who began his ministry with the St. Paul’s congregation on October 27th, 2014. As St. Paul’s prepared to call Pr. Daniel they formed a contract with St. John’s Lutheran, Connellsville to share the pastoral ministry of Pr. Daniel.